High-Speed Communication Systems
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantee:||Škorpil Vladislav, doc. Ing., CSc., UTKO|
|Lecturer:||Škorpil Vladislav, doc. Ing., CSc., UTKO|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Telecommunications FEEC BUT|
Providing detailed knowledge of high-speed communiscations systems, the backbone of present-day telecommunication network, in the scope given below in the summary and in syllabi. Practical work with the UTKO experimental high-speed network.
Synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH). Integration of tributary signals into SDH. Network Node equipment, network elements, function blocks. Measuring and testing the SDH equipment. Digital transport network, signals of circuits layers. Multimedia signal transmission in SDH, processing and transmitting video and audio, Internet protocol (IP) and SDH. Synchronization of digital networks, resistance, jitter and wander of payload, indication of synchronization quality, synchronization in the Czech Republic network. Other high-speed communication systems, gigabit Ethernet and others. Time bases reliability, slip rate. Transcodec PCM/ADPCM, mí/A. High-speed communication networks of Czech Telecom, power distribution and Czech Railways. Telecommunication management network (TMN).
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
Fundamentals of electrical and electronic engineering and electro-magnetic signals transmission.
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
Detailed knowledge of SDH and telecommunication networks based on SDH. Telecommunication Management Network (TMN).
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Important terms. PDH: E1, E2, E3, E4. Measuring on high-speed communication network.
- SDH, multiplex structure. C, VC, TU, TUG, AU, AUG, STM-N.
- E4 and E3 mapping into STM-1.
- E1 mapping into STM-1.
- Equipment of network nodes NN. Add and Drop muldex, Crossconect.
- NN function bloks
- Digital transport networks.
- Introduction to and basic terms of ATM.
- Digital network synchronisation.
- Reliability of timing, transcodecs.
- High-speed telecommunications networks of Czech Telecom, power distribution industry and Czech railways.
- Telecommunication management network TMN
- Digital transmission of radio and televizion. Cable TV.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Becoming acquainted with the Czech Telecom Learning Centre. Work in their laboratories.
- Using the SMA technical manuals
- Variants of SMA1/4/16c cards
- Setting the SDH equipment
- Measuring on the SDH equipment
- Repairing the SDH equipment
- Optical cables
- Welding of optical fibre
- Measuring with the aid of the RXC reflectometer
- Structured cabling, measuring
- EWSD telephone exchange
- S12 telephone exchange
- ADSL connection
Review of the preparation and protocols in laboratory and computer exercises, review of short-time assignments.
Active participation in obligatory laboratory exercises (max 30 points). Handing in the protocols (prepared in compliance with the rules) and the assigned written work. Laboratory exercises are conducted in the Learning Centre of Czech Telecom, Čichnova 23, Brno.