Typography and Publishing
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Křena Bohuslav, Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)|
|Lecturer:||Křena Bohuslav, Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)|
Smrčka Aleš, Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)
|Instructor:||Češka Milan, RNDr., Ph.D. (DITS)|
Rozman Jaroslav, Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)
Šoková Veronika, Ing. (DITS)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Intelligent Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To understand common principles of typography. To take overview of tools for creating documents of high typographic quality. To be familiar with the system LaTeX for preparing professional documents and publications.|
| || ||Students learn basics of typography and tools for creating documents. We concentrate on LaTeX system for preparing professional documents and publications. The course consists of six lectures (one 100 minutes long lecture per two weeks). Students practise their knowledge within five LaTeX projects. The final test is in the last week of teaching part of the term.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Text editors.|
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Students learn typography basics and how to create documents by the LaTeX system.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Goals and organization of the course, writing as a basis of typography, review of tools for document preparation.
- Introduction to LaTeX system - philosophy, software, plain and hybrid composition.
- Document composition - common rules and LaTeX commands for document structuring, composition of mathematical expressions in LaTeX.
- Handling tables, algorithms, and images in LaTeX.
- Standards for references, references in LaTeX.
- Basics of presentations, presentation tools in LaTeX.
|Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students:|
- Plain and hybrid composition (10 points)
- Document composition, mathematical expressions (15 points)
- Pictures, algorithms, and tables (15 points)
- References (15 points)
- Presentation preparing (15 points)
- Kolektiv autorů. Jak publikovat na počítači (How to Publish by Computer), SCIENCE, Velentiny, 1996. ISBN 80-901475-77. (In Czech)
- ČSN ISO 690: Informace a dokumentace - Pravidla pro bibliografické odkazy a citace informačních zdrojů. Úřad pro technickou normalizaci, metrologii a státní zkušebnictví. 2011. (In Czech)
- Rybička, J. LaTeX pro začátečníky (LaTeX for Beginners), 3. edition. Konvoj, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7302-049-1. (In Czech)
- Kopka, H., Daly, P. W. LaTeX podrobný průvodce (A Guide to LaTeX Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced Users), vydání první. Computer Press, Brno, 2004. ISBN 80-722-6973-9. (In Czech)
| || ||No attendance on lectures is monitored within this course. The knowledge of students is examined by the projects and by the final test.|
In case of illness or other relevant obstacles that are properly reported and documented, student can ask a responsible teacher to postpone a project submission or to provide an additional date for the final test.
| || ||Students can obtain up to 70 points from 5 projects and up to 30 points from final test.|
| || ||Students get points in the projects during the term and in the final test at the end of teaching part of the term. It is necessary to get at least 50 points for the accreditation. Classification is according to standard scale.|
Plagiarism as well as not permitted cooperation on projects and/or cheating during final test will cause that involved students are not classified and disciplinary action may be initiated.