Field of Study
Computer Systems and Networks
|Degree Programme: ||Information Technology, Master, 2-years|
|Language of Instruction: ||czech|
|Form of Study: ||full-time|
|Guarantor:||Kotásek Zdeněk, doc. Ing., CSc.|
|The enlistment of the field into a degree programme:|
Computer Systems and Networks Branch of Study (MPS for short in Czech) is instructed in Czech only.
It is the branch of the Information Technology Follow-Up Master Study Program. It is under the control of common rules, conditions and criteria, which are defined in detail in the common part of the accreditation documentation of that study program and also by common ruling and directives of the BUT, especially those of the FIT BUT, as presented at internet addresses www.vutbr.cz and www.fit.vutbr.cz.
Students will get acquainted with theoretical aspects of behavior description and behavior modeling, design and its verification, testing computer systems and networks, and they will be learned the principles of the synthesis and analysis of functional units of computers and other digital devices. Further, they will be informed about the architectures of computer systems with the emphasis on multi-processor and distributed systems. They will understand the principles of formal specification and their implementation in the design of embedded systems, they will be able to utilize advanced techniques for rapid prototyping and the implementation of typical applications. They will understand basic conceptions and principles of the computer communication and networks, i.e. with network services and protocols. Students will be prepared to manage network applications and nets.
|Extent of the final state examinations:|
The State Final Examination has two parts: A defence of the Master Thesis, and a discussion based on selected topics from the course "Computer Systems and Networks" which is derived from compulsory courses of the MPS Branch of Study as Hardware/Software Codesign, Advanced Database Systems, Computer Graphics, Intelligent Systems, Theoretical Computer Science, Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, Processor Architecture, Design of External Adapters and Embedded Systems, Data Communications, Computer Networks and Protocols, Parallel System Architecture and Programming, Internet Applications and Advanced Communication Systems. The areas of possible questions must be approved by the Study Branch Council, and students will be informed about the selected topics at least 2 months before the state final examination is held in the particular academic year. The discussion will be held on two topics.
- The graduates have good insight into architecture of computers and networks, can integrate hardware and software products and optimize their configuration, predict system performance, design network-based, internet-based and parallel applications. They can design embedded systems based on microprocessors, DSPs and microcontrollers as well as specialized interfaces, including interfaces to Internet.
- The graduates are ready for design work, operation and management of networks as well as high-performance systems, further for research and development work in the area of custom computing, digital control and embedded systems. They understand principles of project control and are able to apply them at the development, design and in application of computing systems. They are able to design and carry out an experiment, analyze and interpret the data, work individually or in a team, present the results in written or oral form and further educate themselves. Their adaptation is easy even into as diversified areas as demanding scientific computations and simulations, digital signal and image processing or advanced Internet automation or E-education.
- A carrier is possible in professions like system programmer, network designer and manager, system integrator, development specialist in design and rapid prototyping of combined hardware/software computer-based systems, distributed digital control systems as well as custom and programmable circuits and interfaces. Graduates in this branch of study will use their education in development and research divisions of companies dealing with computer network hardware and software and further in a huge number of companies, which computer systems and networks operate only, e.g. in state and local bodies, in the army, in education and health institutes, and practically in any industrial enterprise.
|Content and quantification of professional practice:|
It is not required.
|Possible themes of final projects:|
- Hardware Support for Multimedia Data Processing
- Data Compression with Daubechies Wavelets
- Performance Prediction and Tuning of Parallel Applications
- The Optimization of the Test Application Process of Digital Circuits and Systems
- Design Tools for Embedded Applications
- The Use of Evolution Algorithms for Digital Subsystem Synthesis
- Genetic Algorithms for Test Generation
- Network Access to an Embedded System
- The Tool for Executable Specifications of Embedded Systems
- Design of Specialized Multi-ALU Processors