|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Kotásek Zdeněk, doc. Ing., CSc., DCSY|
|Lecturer:||Kotásek Zdeněk, doc. Ing., CSc., DCSY|
|Instructor:||Herrman Tomáš, Ing., Ph.D., DCSY|
Stareček Lukáš, Ing., DCSY
Straka Martin, Ing., Ph.D., DCSY
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Computer Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To develop the knowledge gained in the courses dealing with the construction of computers, to present the principles of communication between processor and peripheral devices controllers. To describe principles of system buses, primarily PCI and PCI Express. To explain principles of controlling peripheral operations together with some types of peripheral interfaces (Centronics and its evolutionary stages, HDD interfaces, SCSI bus, USB, Firewire). To provide students with the information on principles of constructing peripheral devices (HDD, monitors, printers).|
| || ||The attention is paid especially to the principles of construction and control of peripheral devices (disc memories, monitors, graphic adapters) and their controllers. The inclusion of peripheral device controller into the computer architecture, communication with processor.The attention is also paid to the description and utilisation of system and I/O buses of computers for the control of peripheral oprations: communication on the bus, principles of bus allocation, DMA, interrupt requests. Disc memories, recording methods, the construction of disc memory, parameters, communication between controller and disc memory, register model of disc memory. Displays, graphic adapters and their structure, development stages. The principles of communication between peripheral device controller and a peripheral device, examples of interfaces: parallel ATA, serial ATA, USB, Centronics and its versions, SCSI.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||The knowledge of digital circuits construction and the components of computers. The knowledge of basic principles of communication on system buses. |
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Students will learn how to utilize knowledge gained by studying hardware oriented courses dealing with the construction of computer systems. They will become acquainted with both classical and modern technologies of controlling peripheral devices together with the construction of peripheral devices. They will learn how to utilize this information for other activities like the design of external adapters or developing drivers of peripheral devices. They will be provided with the information on trends in peripheral devices design and their utilization in computer systems.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- The Types of Peripheral Devices, Their Function in a Computer System.
- The function of peripheral device controller. Its position in the computer architecture.
- The function of system bus during peripheral operations.
- PCI, PCI-X, PCI-Express.
- Graphic Adapters, Monitors, AGP.
- CRT, LCD monitors. DVI.
- SPP, EPP, ECP, RS 485, RS 422.
- Hard Disc Drives, Recording Methods, HDD Control. The Logical Structure of Hard Disc medium.
- Disc units interfaces.
- Optical Memories, Recording Methods.
- IDE, SATA.
- TMDS techniques, differential connections.
- USB. Firewire.
- William Buchanan: Applied PC, Interfacing, Graphics and Interrupts, Addison-Wesley, 1996, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-87728-7, 383 pages
- Hans-Peter Messmer: The Indispensable PC Hardware Book, Addison-Wesley, 1997, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-40399-4, 1384 pages
- Hans-Peter Messmer: The Indispensable Pentium Book, Addison-Wesley, 1995, USA, ISBN 0-201-87727-9, 496 pages
- Friedhelm Schmidt: SCSI Bus & IDE Interface, Addison-Wesley, 1998, Anglie, ISBN 0-201-17514-2, 396 pages
| || |
- Mid-term written exam: 25 points
- Final written exam: 70 points
- Project: 5 points