New Headway Intermediate 2
|IT-BC-3||BIT||2nd||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantee:||Sedláček Pavel, Mgr., DFL|
|Instructor:||Filipenská Terezie, Mgr., Ph.D., DAME|
Neuwirthová Ludmila, PhDr., Ph.D., DFL
Pojteková Irena, Mgr., DFL
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||09:00||10:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||09:00||10:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||09:00||10:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||11:00||12:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||11:00||12:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - Baumgartnerová||lectures||T10/324||11:00||12:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/327||09:00||10:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/327||09:00||10:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/327||09:00||10:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Šedrlová||lectures||T10/323||09:00||10:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/326||13:00||14:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/326||13:00||14:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - Sedláček||lectures||T10/326||13:00||14:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
| || ||Acquisition of new vocabulary. Developing grammar knowledge. Developing the language skills: reading, speaking, listening and writing. Introducing and revising common phrases of spoken English. Work with semi-technical texts.|
| || ||The course of English for intermediate students is orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||To pass the BAN3 course or to acquire at least 41 points the entrance language test (instruction is in Czech only).|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||To be able to speak about topics contained in the textbook accurately and fluently (with a certain error tolerance). To be able to use basic reading techniques (scanning, skimming, selecting what is relevant). To be able to follow English lessons, to follow instructions, desciptions and explanations, to take notes when listening. To be able to write a formal and informal letter, to send a fax, to fill in a form, to describe a person and a place. To be able to understand a complicated sentence construction and relations between sentences from a language point of view; to acquire new semi-technical vocabulary.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||This course fulfills Level B1 of the European Council Reference Frame.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
- Modal verbs. Differences between British and American English.
- Giving presentations. Reading: International Outsourcing.
- Future arrangements and intentions. Collocations.
- Present Continuous and 'going to'. Business communication.
- Temporal clauses. Writing e-mails.
- 1st and 2nd Conditionals. Phrasal verbs.
- Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous. Job descriptions.
- Describing a process. Interviewing techniques.
- 3rd Conditional. Confusing words.
- Business correspondence. 'Should' + perfect infinitive.
- Reported speech. Collocations.
- Technical text. Social responses.
- Semester test.
- Taylor, L.: International Express Intermediate. New edition. Student's Book. OUP 2005.
- Johnson, D.: General Engineering. English for Academic Purposes Series. Cassell Publishers Ltd, London, 1991.
- Soars, L., Soars, J.: New Headway Intermediate (Student's Book, Teacher's Book, Workbook). Oxford University Press, 1996.
| || ||"Stop and Check" tests.|
| || ||A written test.|