New Headway Intermediate 2/2
|IT-BC-3||BIT||2nd||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Matoušková Jana, Mgr. (DFL)|
|Instructor:||Matoušková Jana, Mgr. (DFL)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
| || ||Acquisition of new vocabulary. Developing grammar knowledge. Developing the language skills (reading, speaking, listening and writing) Introducing and revising common phrases of spoken English. Work with semi-technical texts.|
| || ||A standard course block of English for intermediate students orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Successful passing the course IH3/1 in the summer semester of the previous academic year.|
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||To be able to speak about topics contained in the textbook accurately and fluently (with a certain error tolerance). To be able to use basic reading techniques (scanning, skimming, selecting what is relevant). To be able to follow English lessons, to follow instructions, desciptions and explanations, to take notes when listening. To be able to write a formal and informal letter, to send a fax, to fill in a form, to describe a person and a place. To be able to understand a complicated sentence construction and relations between sentences from a language point of view; to acquire new semi-technical vocabulary.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
IH3 is a two-semester course block and for that reason 26 items are included.
- Auxiliary verbs "do, be, have", naming the tenses, questions and negatives, short answers. Social expressions.
- Wonders of the modern world in reading, speaking and listening. Writing: correcting mistakes.
- Present Simple and Continuous, action and state verbs, present passive. Vocabulary: sports. Numbers: money, fractions, decimals, phone numbers, dates. "Semiconductors": work with the text.
- Favourite sports and leisure activities in speaking and listening. Writing: describing a person. "Semiconductors": tasks.
- Past Simple, Continuous and Past Pefect; past passive. Vocabulary: art, music and literature. Giving opinions. "Diodes": work with the text.
- Art, music and litearure in reading and speaking. "Diodes": tasks.
- Modal verbs: obligation and permission. Vocabulary: adjectives that describe people; word formation. Requests and offers. "Fibre Optics": work with the text.
- How to behave properly in different parts of the world in reading, listening and speaking. Writing: filling in a form. "Fibre Optics": tasks.
- Future forms: "going to", "will", Present Continuous. Vocabulary: the weather, using public transport, requests in a hotel.
- Holidays and tourism in reading, listening and speaking. Writing: sending a fax.
- Questions with "like"; verb patterns. Vocabulary: words that go together.
- Food, cooking and restaurants in reading and speaking. Writing: describing a room (relative pronouns).
- Summer (1st semestr of course block study) semester test.
- Present Perfect Simple; Present Perfect passive. Vocabulary: multi-word verbs. Telephoning, leaving a message on an answer phone.
- Choosing a career in reading and speaking. Writing: formal letters; a letter of application.
- First Conditional and Second Conditional; time clauses. Vocabulary: base and strong adjectives. Making suggestions. "Electromagnetic Systems": work with the text.
- Charities and charitable causes in speaking and listening. Words that join ideas in writing. "Electromagnetic Systems": tasks.
- Probability (present and past) with the help of modal verbs. Vocabulary: character adjectives. "Solar Energy Systems": work with the text.
- Character qualities and a topic of a family in speaking and listening. Agreeing and disagreeing. "Solar Energy Systems": tasks.
- Present Perfect Continuous tense. Vocabulary: compound nouns. Complaining. "Laser": work with the text.
- Collectors and their collections; smoking in speaking and listening. Writing: beginning and ending formal and informal letters. "Laser": tasks.
- Indirect questions; question tags. Vocabulaty: idioms. Informal language.
- Forgetfulness in listening and speaking. Reading questions and answers from a science magazine. Writing: for and against.
- Reported speech. Vocabulary: words connected with birth, marriage and death.
- Customs connected with births, weddings and funerals in a discussion. Expressing saying sorry.
- Winter (2nd semestr of course block study) semester test.
- Johnson, D.: General Engineering. English for Academic Purposes Series. Cassell Publishers Ltd, London, 1991.
- Britský aktuální tisk.
- Soars, L., Soars, J.: New Headway Intermediate (Student's Book, Teacher's Book, Workbook). Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Soars, L., Soars, J.: New Headway Intermediate, Student's Book. Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Pracovní technické listy (with the Czech support).
| || ||"Stop and Check" tests.|
| || ||A written test after each of two semesters. The maximum number of points possible from each semester test is 20 points. If a student obtains 90% or above in his/her semester test, he/she receives the full number of points. For a mark between 70%-89%, 15 points are allocated and for a mark between 50%-69%, 10 points are allocated. A student has to receive at least 10 points of the possible 20 points in each of two semesters if he/she wants to enter his/her name for the final exam.|