Advanced Digital Systems
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Fučík Otto, doc. Dr. Ing. (DCSY)|
|Lecturer:||Kořenek Jan, doc. Ing., Ph.D. (DCSY)|
Martínek Tomáš, Ing., Ph.D. (DCSY)
|Instructor:||Dvořák Milan, Ing. (DCSY)|
Kajan Michal, Ing. (DCSY)
Matoušek Denis, Ing. (DCSY)
Matoušek Jiří, Ing. (DCSY)
Zachariášová Marcela, Ing., Ph.D. (DCSY)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Computer Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To give the students the knowledge of advanced digital systems design including hardware description languages, professional CAD tools, techniques for constrained design, and PLD technology.|
| || ||Combinatorial and sequential logic design techniques, algorithms, and tools review.
Review of digital design target technologies (ASIC, FPGA). Algorithms for minimization of digital circuits. Advanced synthesis techniques (pipelining, retiming). Constraint conditions. Modern approaches to synthesis of digital circuits (models, methods, logic optimization, optimization for target technology). Synergy of modern syntehesis and verification. Low power design methodologies. Reconfigurable computing. Verification of digital circuits (OVM methodology).|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Digital system design, basic programming skills.|
|Learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||The students are able to design complex constrained digital systems using contemporary design techniques and they know modern methods for synthesis and verification of these systems.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Combinatorial and sequential logic design techniques, algorithms, and tools review.
- Review of digital design target technologies (ASIC, FPGA).
- Algorithms for minimization of digital circuits.
- Advanced synthesis techniques (pipelining, retiming).
- Constraint conditions.
- Models and methods for modern synthesis of digital circuits (AIG, BDD, SAT solvers).
- Modern synthesis of digital circuits (logic optimization).
- Modern synthesis of digital circuits (optimization for target technology).
- Synergy between synthesis and verification of digital circuits.
- Low power design methodologies.
- Reconfigurable computing.
- Verification of digital circuits (OVM methodology).
|Syllabus of computer exercises:|
- Synthesis of the basic logic circuits, pipelining, retiming.
- Constraint conditions.
- Synthesis of basic digital circuits using ABC tool.
- Synthesis of advanced digital circuits using ABC tool.
- Verification of digital circuits.
|Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students:|
- Individual project focused on digital design using CatapultC environment.
Gajsky D., Dutt N., Wu A., Lin S.:
High-Level Synthesis: Introduction to Chip and System Design, ISBN
- Micheli G., High-Level Synthesis from
Algorithm to Digital Circuit, ISBN 978-1-4020-8587-1, 2008
- Rabaey J., Pedram M.: Low Power Design Methodologies, Kluwer, ISBN 0792396308, 1996
- Lecture notes in e-format
| || ||Presence in any form of instruction is not compulsory. An absence (and
hence loss of points) can be compensated in the following ways: |
- presence in another laboratory group dealing with the same task.
- showing a summary of results to the tutor at the next lab.
a short report (summarizing the results of the missed lab and answering
the questions from the assignment) to the tutor, in 14 days after the
| || ||Written mid-term exam and project in due dates.|
| || ||Requirements for class accreditation are not defined.|