Parallel and Distributed Algorithms
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantor:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing., DITS|
|Lecturer:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing., DITS|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Intelligent Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To acquaint students with the with the basic concepts of parallel and distributed computing. The course aims to the general principles of parallel and distributed algorithms and their time complexity.|
| || ||Introduction, features and languages for parallel and distributed architectures. Abstract models of parallel computing, PRAM, complexity. All prefix sums and their applications. Algorithms for parallel sorting and searching, parallel matrix operations, Interaction between processes, communication, synchronization. Typical problems.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Basic knowledge of algorithms.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Students will learn basic principles of parallel and distributed computing and with parallel and distributed algorithms and their time complexity.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Students will learn basic principles and possibilities of algorithm paralelization.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Introduction, architectures and languages for parallel and distributed processing.
- Abstract models of parallel computing, PRAM (Parallel Random Access Machine).
- Distributed and parallel algorithms and their complexity.
- Interaction between processes, communication, synchronization.
- Topologie, synchrinous and asynchronous algorithms.
- Algorithms for parallel sorting.
- Algorithms for parallel searching.
- Parallel matrix operations.
- All prefix sums and their applications.
- Graph and list algorithms.
- Synchronization algorithms and tasks.
- Mechanisms and language constructs for synchronization.
- Languages for parallel and distributed computing.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Samostatně řešené projekty
|Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students:|
- Programming project in parallel programming language.
- Jaja, J.: An Introduction to Parallel Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1992, ISBN 0-201-54856-9
- Akl, S.: The Design and Analysis of Parallel Algorithms, Prentice-Hall International, ISBN 0-13-200073-3
- Tvrdík, P.: Parallel Systems and Algorithms, skripta, Praha, Vydavatelství ČVUT 1997.
| || ||A written mid-term exam, a regular evaluation of projects.|
| || ||A mid-term exam evaluation and an evaluation of projects.|
| || ||Projects are necessary.|