LAN Switching, Accessing the WAN (CCNA3+4)
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Matoušek Petr, Ing., Ph.D., M.A. (DIFS)|
|Lecturer:||Matoušek Petr, Ing., Ph.D., M.A. (DIFS)|
Ráb Jaroslav, Ing. (DIFS)
|Instructor:||Matoušek Petr, Ing., Ph.D., M.A. (DIFS)|
Ráb Jaroslav, Ing. (DIFS)
Skokanová Jana, Mgr. (CC)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Information Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||Students get skills about design and building LANs and VLANs. Student will configure local networks using managed switches. They will learn configure WiFi networks and APs. The second part of the course deals with WAN technologies. In labs, students get practical skills about NAT and DHCP configuration. They will create serial connection using PPP and understand Frame Relay communication. They will learn how to secure network devices and how to make network troubleshooting. The course covers two courses of Cisco Networking Academy programme - CCNA3 and CCNA4, version Exploration.|
| || ||Managed switches and their configuration. Designing and building LANs and VLANs. Protocols STP, RSTP and VTP. Concept and configuration of WiFi networks.Dynamical addressing using DHCP. Network address translation and port address translation. WAN technologies. Protocol PPP. Frame Relay transmission. Securing network devices. Network Troubleshooting.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Successful completion of the courses CCNA 1 and CCNA 2.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Configuration of switches, LAN and VLAN design and building using managed swiches. Overview and usage of protocols STP, RSTP and VTP. Overview and configuration of Wifi access points.Students will understand common WAN technologies. They will learn how to configure network address translation and port address translation. They will understand WAN technologies PPP, Frame Relay and how to configure it. They get overview of network security and creating ACLs. They will learn fundamentals of network troubleshooting.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Design of LANs and VLANs. Configuration of switches. Design and configuration of Wifi networks. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- LAN Design.
- Switching Concepts and Switches, architecture and functions, Switch Configuration.
- Virtual LANs.
- VLAN Trunking Protocol, concept and usage in VLANs.
- Spanning Tree Protocol, concept and configuration.
- Inter-VLAN Routing.
- Basic Wireless Concepts and Configuration.
- WAN Technologies. Protocol PPP.
- Frame Relay Transmission.
- Network Security, ACL filtering.
- Broadband services. VPN technology.
- Advanced addressing - DHCP, NAT, and IPv6.
- Network troubleshooting.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Switch configuration, default configuration.
- Switch configuration, address tables, port security.
- Switch configuration, operating system, configuration files at Cisco switches.
- Spanning Tree Protocol configuration.
- Configuring Static VLANs.
- VLAN Trunking Protocol.
- Wifi access point configuration.
- PPP configuration, encapsulation and authentication.
- Configurating Frame Relay.
- Securing network devices using CLI and SDM. ACL filtering.
- Broadband services - ISDN, xDSL, modem.
- NAT/PAT address translation. Dynamic addressing using DHCP.
- Network management. Configuring SNMP, syslog.
- W. Lewis: LAN Switching and Wireless, CCNA Exploration Companion Guide, Cisco Press, 2008.
- B.Vachon, R.Graziani: Accessing the WAN. CCNA Exploration Companion Guide. Cisco Press, 2008.
- Lecture notes in English.
- Documents and examples available on the Web portal Academy Online.
| || |
- Home preparation and active laboratory work.
- Passing all module tests.
| || |
- Active laboratory work (max. 60 points).
- Practical skills test CCNA3 (max. 10 points).
- Final test CCNA3 (max. 10 points).
- Practical skills test CCNA4 (max. 10 points).
- Final test CCNA4 (max. 10 points).
- To obtain Academy Certificate of Completion all tests including Final exam and Skill test must be passed with min. score 80%.
| || |
- Labs attendance.
- Getting at least 50% points of every activity.