Headway Pre-Intermediate 1
|Ac.Year:||2018/2019 (Not opened)|
|IT-BC-3||BIT||1st||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Baumgartnerová Alena, PaedDr. (DFL)|
|Deputy guarantor:||Sedláček Pavel, Mgr. (DFL)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
| || ||The course for lower intermediate students is aimed at learning basic vocabulary and grammar and at developing the four language skills, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The students will learn basic technical terminology.|
| || ||The course is focused on the basic knowledge of grammar: tenses, time and conditional clauses, infinitive, reported statements, articles, etc. The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations is developed as well as writing of letters, CV and filling in forms. The students will work with technical texts to get acquainted with basic technical terminology.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Successful passing of beginner English, e.g. on a secondary school or at the FEEC of the BUT or to acquire "10/11 - 20" points in the entrance test (instruction is in Czech only).|
|Learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations will be developed. They will master the basic grammatical structures and new vocabulary, both general and technical.||Why is the course taught:|
| || ||The course enables students to acquire professional vocabulary, language functions and language skills necessary for active participation in seminars, lectures and other activities in the information and communication technology sector.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
- Unit 1: First meetings. Tenses, parts of speech, questions and social expressions.
- Unit 2: The world of work. Present tenses-simple and continuous. Verb groups. Making contact.
- Unit 2: Finishing-collocation, describing a company.
Unit 3: Challenges. Past tense-explanation and exercises.
- Unit 3: Finishing-past simple and past continuous, nouns, verbs and adjectives, making negatives, making connections. Sports and leisure file.
- Unit 4: Plans and arrangements. Expressing future - exercises. Hotel file.
- Unit 4: Finishing-words and symbols. Emails faxes and letters. Staying at a hotel. Units 1-4 revision.
- Review Unit A: Units 1-4 revision. Mid-semester test.
- Unit 5: How healthy is your lifestyle? Mass and count nouns, expressing quantity. Food file.
- Unit 5: Word groups. Living in different environment-comparison of lifestyles. At a restaurant.
- Unit 6: Flying gets cheaper. Comparative and superlative adjectives, synonyms and antonyms. Travelling.
- Unit 6: Word groups, air travel file. Transformations.
- Unit 6: Finishing-making arrangements. General revision.
- Semester test.
- Taylor, L.: International Express Pre-Intermediate. Student's Book, Units 1 - 6.New edition,OUP 2012.
- Murphy, R.: Essential grammar in Use. With answers. Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Juránková, V., Sládková, E.: 222 cvičení z anglické mluvnice. S klíčem. MC nakladatelství Brno, CZ, 1993.
- Taylor, L.: International Express Pre-Intermediate. Student's Book, Units 1 - 6.New edition,OUP 2012
- Support for home-training: http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
| || ||75% attendance, fulfilling the tasks.|
| || ||Credit test: 24 - 40 points.|
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.