The History and Context of Photography 2
|Code:||IDF2 (FAVU DKFII-L)|
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Fišerová Lucia, Mgr., Ph.D. (FFA)|
|Lecturer:||Fišerová Lucia, Mgr., Ph.D. (FFA)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Fine Arts BUT|
| || ||The aim of this course is to reflect on the actual position of photography in a context of its historical developments. Introduction of new media and social thematics into photography will be of particular interest, as well as a crossing of borders of traditional genre of photography. Photography will be introduced not only as artistic medium but more broadly defined tool for visual communication as well (as in family, science, commercial etc. photography).|
| || ||The course consists of lectures on history and contemporary tendencies in photography (with considering its position within both fine arts and non-artistic visuality). Students will be introduced to the development of the medium in thematic blocs. This way they will be able to understand particular problems within broader philosophical and medial context. Students will learn how to "read" language of photography, to understand its expressive potential and they will learn the main theoretical frameworks within which photography is interpreted. Practical workshops focised on modes of displaying photography will be part of the course, too.|
|Learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will gain an insight into both development of photography and its contemporaneous trends. They will be able enrich insight into their own photographic practice, they will learn more about the language of photography and the basics of its gallery presentation.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Out of the game (sport in photography).
- Limits of the nude as a genre.
- Images of corporeality.
- Someone is watching (the history of the gaze. vouyerism ...).
- "As if" game: Postmodern photography.
- The Issues of memory.
- New spirituality.
- Key theories of photography.
- Spaces of art (self-reflecting photography).
- The language of advertising.
- The coat-hanger (fashion photography) - history, the phenomenon of fashion models, pictue magazines, contemporary fashion photograhy as the cross-section of genres.
- How to display photography (from selecting photographs to their framing, installation; gallery spaces, PR, invitation cards, follow-up events, exhibition documentation).
- Field trip - a visit of a photography exhibition ( the field trip will take place during the semestre, depending on the current choice).
- Anděl, Jaroslav: Česká fotografie 1840-1950 : příběh moderního média. Praha: Kant, 2004 (In Czech)
- Baatz, Willfried: Fotografie. Praha: Computer Press, 2004 (in Czech)
- Barthes, Roland: Světlá komora. Agite/Fra, Praha, 2005 (in Czech)
- Berger, John: O pohledu, Agite/Fra, 2009 (in Czech)
- Birgus, Vladimír; Mlčoch, Jan: Česká fotografie 20. století: průvodce. Praha, KANT, 2005 (in Czech)
- Císař Karel: Co je to fotografie? Herrmann & synové, Praha, 2004 (in Czech)
- Frizot, Michael: New History of Photography. Kolín nad Rýnem: Konemann, 1998
- Grygar, Štěpán: Konceptuální umění a fotografie. AMU, Praha, 2004 (in Czech)
- Hájek, Václav: Jak rozpoznat odpadkový koš, Labyrint, 2012 (in Czech)
- Kuneš, A., Pospěch, T. (ed.): Čítanka z teorie fotografie. Opava, Slezská univerzita, 2003 (In Czech)
- Pospěch, Tomáš: Myslet fotografii, PositiF 2014 (in Czech)
- Scheufler, Pavel: Teze k dějinám fotografie do roku 1918. Praha: AVU, 2000 (in Czech)
- Silverio, Robert: Postmoderní fotografie. AMU, Praha, 2007 (in Czech)
- Sontag Susan: O fotografii. Praha, 2002 (in Czech)
- Warnen Marien, Mary: Photography. A Cultural History, Laurence King 2010