|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Smrž Pavel, doc. RNDr., Ph.D. (DCGM)|
|Deputy guarantor:||Fajčík Martin, Ing. (FIT)|
|Lecturer:||Smrž Pavel, doc. RNDr., Ph.D. (DCGM)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Computer Graphics and Multimedia FIT BUT|
| || ||To examine the topic of scripting languages and their applications. To understand complementarity of the class of languages to systems languages, their strengths and weaknesses. To conceive basics of regular expressions, using appropriate data structures and approaches primarily in Python (and partially Ruby and others).|
| || ||Basic concepts: scripts and scripting, scripting versus programming, an overview of scripting languages, macro languages, scriptable objects and componentware, basics of Python, Unix system hacking, object-oriented programming in scripting languages, concurrency and parallelism. |
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Students will get acquainted with modern scripting languages, having successfully completed the course, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the nature of scripting and the role of scripting languages, the syntax and semantics of Python, write simple scripts to automate system administration tasks using appropriate languages and rapidly develop simple applications using appropriate tools.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||The students will learn to solve problems in Python through regular projects. They will also improve their programming skills and their knowledge of modern development tools.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Introduction, a brief history of scripting languages, pros and cons, comparison of languages
- Regular expressions and their support in scripting languages
- Simple scripting for OS Unix, automating system administration
- Names in Python, basic data structures and their implementation
- Dictionary (hash structure) and its implementation in Python
- Functions and their arguments, modules, exception handling
- Object-oriented programming in scripting languages
- Advanced concepts of object-oriented programming in Python, multiple inheritance and method resolution order
- Ruby basics through comparison with Python
- Function and class decorators
- Iteration protocol and iterables
- Generators and their use in functions
- Concurrency and parallelism
|Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students:|
- Projects consist in general problems to be solved, mostly by writing medium-sized scripts in Python. Electronic submission of assignments are required using IS FIT.
- Beazley, D.M.: Python - Podrobná referenční příručka pro programovací jazyk Python. Neocortex (in Czech).
- Abelson, H.: Structure and interpretation of computer programs, Cambridge. MIT Press, 2002.
- Harms, D., Macdonald, K.: Začínáme programovat v jazyce Python. Computer Press, ISBN 80-7226-799-X (in Czech).
- Lutz, M., Ascher, D.: Naučte se Python - Pohotová příručka. Grada, 2003, ISBN 80-247-0367-X (in Czech).
| || ||The evaluation includes mid-term test and an individual project. The mid-term test does not have a correction option.|
| || |
- Mid-term test - up to 9 points
- Individual project - up to 40 points
| || |
- Realized individual project