Graphical User Interfaces
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Lampa Petr, Ing. (CC)|
|Lecturer:||Lampa Petr, Ing. (CC)|
|Instructor:||Kašpárek Tomáš, Ing. (CC)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Computer Centre FIT BUT|
| || ||The goal is to make students familiar with the design and programming of graphical user interfaces in Unix/X Windows environment.|
| || ||Interaction between user and application, different application classes. Graphical User Interfaces in Unix and their history. System X Window, structure, X server concept, graphical operations. Application programming interface, Toolkits. Standard X Toolkit and its usage. Widget Sets, programming using OSF/Motif Widget Set.|
|Learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will get knowledge of application programming in X Window+OSF/Motif environment and basic principles of user interface design.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Application classes from the point of view of user interaction.
- X Window system structure, X protocol, input and output graphic operation.
- Xlib level programming, simple application example, Toolkits, example of application using toolkit.
- OOP features in X Toolkit, instance and class of widgets, properties, internal implementation.
- Widget naming system, resources, convertors.
- Event processing, translation table, action table.
- User interface design rules
- Common OSF/Motif features, keyboard navigation, compoung strings, font lists and renditions.
- Simple widget classes and their usage.
- Composite widget classes.
- Menu and dialogs.
- Direct manipulation, Drag&Drop.
|Syllabus of computer exercises:|
- X Window configuration and setup, remote applications, basic tools.
- Programming environment, example of simple application, compile and link.
- Graphic operations, types of graphic contexts, events, event processing.
- Common X Toolkit applications properties, application resources.
|Syllabus - others, projects and individual work of students:|
- Simple application using skeleton and examples.
- Complete OSF/Motif application.
| || ||Written mid-term exam (max. 20 points) and submitting 2 projets in due dates. There is no alternative term of mid-term exam.|