Computer Security and Cryptography
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing. (DITS)|
|Lecturer:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing. (DITS)|
|Instructor:||Cvrček Daniel, doc. Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Intelligent Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To acquaint with with the basic concepts of information systems security. The course aims to the security goals, security functions, and security mechanisms. Another area covered is applied cryptography, including classical cryptography and modern secret key and public key cryptography.|
| || ||Introduction, threats, weak points, security measures, criteria for system security assessment. Data transmission security, operating system and database security. Introduction to cryptography, basic cryptographic algorithms, secret key encryption, public key encryption.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Basic knowledge of operating systems and computer networks.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will learn basic principles of information systems security. They will learn also applied cryptography, including classical cryptography and modern secret key and public key cryptography.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will learn the role of security and functionality in information systems.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Threats, vulnerabilities.
- Security measures.
- Criteria for system security assessment.
- Security functions.
- Data transmission security.
- Operating system and database security.
- Introduction to cryptography, basic cryptographic algorithms.
- Secret key encryption.
- Algorithms for secret key encryption.
- Public key encryption.
- Algorithms for public key encryption.
- Cryptography application examples.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Projects in the PC laboratory - analysis and test implementations of cryptographic algorithms.
- Menezes, A., Van Oorschot, P., Vanstone, A.: Handbook of Applied Cryptography, CRC Press Series on Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, Hardcover, 816 pages, CRC Press, 1997.
- Stallings, W.: Cryptography and Network Security, Prentice Hall, 1999, ISBN 0-13-869017-0
- Savard, J. J. G.: A Cryptographic Compendium, 2000, available on WWW
- Nechvatal, J.: PUBLIC-KEY CRYPTOGRAPHY, NIST Special Publication 800-2, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, 1991, available on WWW
- Menezes, A., Van Oorschot, P., Vanstone, A.: Handbook of Applied Cryptography, CRC Press Series on Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, Hardcover, 816 pages, CRC Press, 1997, available on WWW
| || ||Mid-term exam|