Advanced Communication Systems
|Language of Instruction:||Czech, English|
|Guarantor:||Švéda Miroslav, prof. Ing., CSc. (DIFS)|
|Lecturer:||Ščuglík František, Ing., Ph.D. (DIFS)|
Švéda Miroslav, prof. Ing., CSc. (DIFS)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Information Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||The purposes of subject is acquaint students with types and structure communication networks designated for transmission calling, data and picture and theories of information transmission used in them.|
| || ||Types of communication networks. Electrical interface and signal. Transmission media (line, coaxial cable, optic fibre, radiowaves). Modems. Control of data line. Speech communication. Public switched telephone network (PSTN). Transmission systems theory. Integrated services of digital networks - ISDN. The network management, signaling systems (CCS 7, DSS 1). Telecommunication management network (TMN). Wireless and mobile networks. Analog. system NMT and digit. system GSM, GPRS, UMTS, EDGE. DECT and CTx systems. BlueTooth and WiFi systems.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students shall be acquired knowledge about the structure of communication network used for transmission of calling, data and pictures and technology of transmission information in them used.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Student acquires presentation and communication capabilities.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Network Goals. Topology and network structure. Voice and data communication, digital revolution.
- The electrical interface and signal types. The medium characteristics.
- Baseband and modems with public carrier circuit. Broadband modems. Description of modems.
- Link layer protocols. Flow control. Transparency. Numbering of frame. The HDLC Protocol.
- Theory of transmission systems. SDH and PDH.
- Integrated services of digital networks - ISDN. ISDN protocols, accesses and interface standard.
- ISDN - DSS1 and CCS7 signaling protocols.
- xDSL technology
- PPPoE and PPPoA protocols for DSL
- Asynchronnous transfer mode - ATM. ATM structure and transfer protocols.
- Wireless and mobile networks. Analog system NMT and digital system GSM.
- Digital wireless systems BlueTooth and WiFi.
- Routing in mobile networks. Radio trunk systems. CTx and DECT systems.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Structured cabling measurement
- Optical fibre measurement
- Digital telefony
- ADSL connection
- High-speed digital networks
- ISDN measurement
- Signaling system No. 7 - modeling
- Mobile network measurement - GSM
- Mobile network measurement - WiFi
- Mobile network measurement - GBlueTooth
- Schiller, J.:Mobile Communications (2nd edition), Addison-Wesley 2003, ISBN 0-321-12381-6
- Geier, J.: Wireless LANs (2nd edition), SAMS 2001, ISBN 0-672-32058-4
- Halsall,F.: Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems. Addison-Wesley. Fourth edition 1997, ISBN 0-201-42293-X
| || ||A mid-term exam evaluation and laboratory protocols evaluation|
| || ||Acquring 15 points min.|