English: Headway Upper-Intermediate 1/2
|IT-BC-3||BIT||-||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Language of Instruction:||Czech, English|
|Guarantor:||Froehling Kenneth A., M. A., DFL|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
| || ||Learners at this level no longer examine language items in isolation. Reading, listening, pronunciation, grammar and writing are treated as a whole and in greater depth. Also, technical text themes are a required part of this course. This course, in combination with the First Certificate of English, prepares students for advanced interntational exams in the language. Moreover, it prepares students in understanding and presenting technical text material in English. Note: The course takes two semesters.|
| || ||This is the standard course in upper-intermediate English which builds on what was learnt in previous English courses. Writing, pronunciation and presentation is improved upon too.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||A knowledge of the intermediate English level.|
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Grammar is treated in greater depth, as are pronunciation, reading comprehension, vocabulary and vocabulary usage. The use of everyday social expressions and idioms, and the context in which they are use, are also an integral part of the course.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
- Unit 1, pp. 6-7
- Unit 1, pp. 8-15
- Unit 2, pp. 16-18
- Unit 2, pp. 19-26
- Unit 3, pp. 27-29, technical text "Tight Fit"
- Unit 3, pp. 30-37, technical text "Look, No Hands"
- Unit 4, pp. 38-40, technical text "Reeling in Satellites"
- Unit 4, pp. 41-46
- Unit 5, pp. 47-49
- Unit 5, pp. 50-57
- Unit 6, pp. 58-59
- Unit 6, pp. 60-61
- Autumn semester test written
- Unit 7, pp. 68-71
- Unit 7, pp. 72-76
- Unit 8, pp. 77-79
- Unit 8, pp. 80-87
- Unit 9, pp. 88-91
- Unit 9, pp. 92-97, technical text "The Big Picture"
- Unit 10, pp. 98-99, technical text "The End of the Chip"
- Unit 10, pp. 100-107, technical text "The Internet"
- Unit 11, pp. 108-111
- Unit 11, pp. 112-117
- Unit 12, pp. 118-120
- Unit 12, pp. 121-127
- Spring semester test written
| ||J. and L. Soars: New Headway Upper-Intermediate, Oxford University Press, 1998|
- Department of Languages, FEEC: Technical Texts, UJAZ
- J. and L. Soars: New Headway Upper-Intermediate, Oxford University Press, 1998
| || |
- Two progress tests
- Stop and check
| || ||Each student must receive a minimum mark of 50% in both semester tests.|