Efficient Reading of English Professional Texts
|Language of Instruction:||Czech, English|
|Guarantor:||Borecká Marcela, PhDr. (DFL)|
|Instructor:||Borecká Marcela, PhDr. (DFL)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
| || ||Improvement of reading skills and reading comprehension. Mastering different types of specialized and general technical texts in English and different reading techniques.|
| || ||The course is focused on efficient reading and reading comprehension, mostly in combination with other skills. Different types of general and professional texts are used, as well as different reading techniques, such as scanning, skinning, intensive reading, and reading for problem solving. Both general and professional vocabulary are enriched. The course is suitable for the PGS exam and for other exams organized outside the faculty.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Intermediate level of English, a completed BSc BAN4 course.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
- 1) Introduction, needs analysis questionnaire, course programme.
- 2) Evaluation of the questionnaire, reading techniques.
- 3) to 12) Scanning, skimming, intensive reading, vocabulary work, technical texts related to IT, communications, environment, safety, electrical engineering, British press, reading for study and research, etc. with a test in the 7th week.
- 13) Revision.
- E. H. Glendinning: Oxford English for Information Technology, O.U.P.
- E. H. Glendinning: Study Reading, O.U.P.
- Daily Press and Internet Sources.
- BBC English Magazine.
| || ||The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.|
| || ||A half-semester test (worth 40 points max.) and an examination (worth 60 points max.).|
| || ||Active and regular attendance and a completed test (20 points min.).|