Formal Languages and Compilers
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Meduna Alexander, prof. RNDr., CSc. (DIFS)|
|Lecturer:||Burgetová Ivana, Ing., Ph.D. (DIFS)|
Křivka Zbyněk, Ing., Ph.D. (DIFS)
Meduna Alexander, prof. RNDr., CSc. (DIFS)
|Instructor:||Čermák Martin, Ing. (DIFS)|
Koutný Jiří, Ing. (DIFS)
Křena Bohuslav, Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)
Křoustek Jakub, Ing. (DIFS)
Solár Peter, Ing. (DIFS)
Zemek Petr, Ing. (DIFS)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Information Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||Familiarity with formal languages and their models. Grasp of compiler construction.|
| || ||This course discusses formal languages and their models. Based on these models, it explains the construction of compilers. The lectures are organized as follows: (I) Basic notions: formal languages and their models, grammars, automata; compilers. (II) Regular languages and lexical analysis: regular languages and expressions, finite automata and transducers, lexical analyzer; Lex; symbol table. (III) Context-free languages and syntax analysis: context-free grammars, pushdown automata and transducers, deterministic top-down syntax analysis (recursive descent), the essence of deterministic bottom-up syntax analysis; Yacc. (IV) Semantic analysis and code generation: intermediate code generation, optimization, code generation.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||discrete mathematics|
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||Fundamental familiarity with the theory of formal languages. Ability of a compiler construction.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Formal languages.
- Translation of languages and the structure of a compiler.
- Regular languages and their models: regular expressions and finite automata.
- Lexical analysis: lexical analyzer; Lex; symbol table.
- Context-free languages and their models: context-free grammars and pushdown automata.
- Syntax analysis: deterministic syntax analysis, FIRST and FOLLOW, LL and LR grammars.
- Deterministic top-down syntax analysis: recursive descent.
- Deterministic bottom-up syntax analysis: simple precedence analysis, LR analysis; Yacc.
- Semantic analysis and intermediate form generation.
- Code generation.
- Chomsky hierarchy and the corresponding models.
- Remarks and summary. Preliminary discussion of the VYP contents.
- Parsons, T. W.: Introduction to Compiler Construction. Freeman, New York, 1992.
- copy of lectures
- Meduna, A.: Automata and Languages. London, Springer, 2000.
| || ||Midterm. Checking the project solution by the teacher.|
| || ||To be allowed to take the final written exam, the student has to obtain 20 points during the semester; out of these 20 points, at least five points has to be obtained for the programming part of the project.|