Wireless Mobile Communications
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantee:||Hanus Stanislav, prof. Ing., CSc., UREL|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Radioelectronics FEEC BUT|
| || ||The aim of the course is to introduce students to the basic conception and architecture of modern mobile systems, focusing on radio interface.|
| || ||Description and technical solution of wireless and mobile communication systems. Frequency ranges, modulations, radio communication systems with multiplex transmission, basic conception and basic functions of mobile communication systems. Public radio telephone systems NMT450, GSM 900 included GPRS, GSM 1800, IS 54, IS 95 (spread spectrum system). Cordless telephone systems from CT0 to CT3, DECT. Data systems, public network MOBITEX. Radio paging systems RDS and ERMES. Third generation systems UMTS, IMT 2000. Bluetooth system. The future of mobile communications.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||Basic knowledge from electical and electronic engineering, and electromagnetic signal propagation and processing.|
|Learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||The students become familiar with the basic conception and architecture of modern mobile systems, focusing on radio interface. Syllabus of lectures.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Frequency bands, frequency tables. General block diagram of radio communication system, system distribution.
- Signal processing: source coding, channel coding.
- Signal processing: interleaving, digital modulations.
- Basic conception and basic functions of mobile communication systems, multiple access systems, transmission mode, area structure, utilization of frequency band, handover, connection types.
- Doppler phenomena, equalization techniques, diversity reception.
- Radio telephone systems. NMT 450 system. GSM system - introduction.
- Radio telephone systems. GSM system, signal processing.
- Radio telephone systems. GSM system, architecture.
- Radio telephone systems. GSM system, security management, data transmission (GPRS, HSCSD, EDGE), speciality of GSM 1800 system. IS 95 system.
- Cordless telephone systems, introduction, CT2, DECT.
- Data systems. MOBITEX public network.
- Radio paging systems, RDS and ERMES systems.
- Third generation systems UMTS, IMT 2000. Bluetooth system. The future of mobile communications.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Testing of GSM mobile station.
- Radio communication receiver.
- Testing of DECT cordless telephone.
- Parameter changes of GSM network.
- The visitation on Base Tranceiver Station and Mobile Switching Centre of RadioMobil company.
- Demonstration of radio network measurements using top measurement techniques Rohde & Schwarz, Wirelesscom company.
- Walker, J.: Mobile Information Systems. Artech House, Inc. 1990, Boston London
- Mehrotra, A.: GSM System Engineering. Artech House, Inc. 1997, Boston London
- Redl, S.M., Weber, M.K., Oliphant, M.W.: An Introduction to GSM. Artech House, Inc. 1995, Boston London
| || ||Reports of the laboratory measurements.|
| || ||Performance of all laboratory measurements and handing in the reports.|