Branch of Study
Computer Science and Engineering
|Degree programme: ||Computer Science and Engineering, Doctoral, 4-years|
|Form of study: ||attended, combined|
|The enlistment of the branch into a study program:|
The doctoral study branch of Comuter Science and Engineering is a part of the study programme with the same name and it is directed by the common rules, conditions, and criteria that are specified in detail in the common part of the accreditation documents of the study programme. It is further directed by the common rules of the Brno University of technology and especially of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (the future Faculty of Information Technology) in the form published at the Internet addresses www.vutbr.cz and www.fit.vutbr.cz.
The goal of the doctoral study programme is to provide outstanding graduates from the MSc study programme with a specialised university education of the highest level in certain fields of information technology, including especially the areas of information systems, computer-based systems and computer networks, computer graphics and multimedia, and intelligent systems. The education obtained within this study programme also comprises a training and attestation for scientific work.
|Extent of the final state examinations:|
The scope of a doctoral state examination is determined by the individual study plan of the student being examined and by the theme of his/her future dissertation thesis. Within the examination as well as within a report on the theme of the dissertation thesis, the student proves his/her knowledge of the state of the art methodologies, theories, and their applications on a level exceeding the level common in MSc study programmes. The doctoral state examination also encompasses an evaluation of the presumed goals of the future dissertation thesis of the student, of the chosen solution method, and of the so far obtained original results.
- Graduates from the doctoral study programme are trained to independently work in research, development, or management.
- They are able to solve and/or to lead teams solving advanced conceptual, research, development, or production problems in the area of contemporary information technology and its applications.
- They can be engaged to work on creative tasks, to lead research and development teams, or to work in management of companies or organizations whenever there are required abilities to work in an independent and creative way, to analyze complex problems, and to propose and realize new and original solutions. Graduates from the doctoral study programme can also teach and/or scientifically work at universities.
|Content and quantification of professional practice:|
In the doctoral study programme there is not required any professional practice.
|Possible themes of final projects:|
- Definition and control of processes in object-oriented information systems
- Dynamically reconfigurable computer architectures
- Architectures of hardware and software of multiprocessor systems
- Applying formal approaches to the verification of testability of digital circuits
- Solving large systems of differential equations in extremely fast and exact ways
- Parallel compilers: models, techniques, and implementation
- Heterogeneous systems modelling
- Formal specification and verification of communication protocols
- Biometric security systems
- Methods of acquiring knowledge from WWW
- Automatic speech processing for security applications
- Acceleration of raster image recognition