Doc. Dr. Ing. Jan Černocký
- 1995 - 98: Joint Czech-French doctoral fellowship "co-tutelle" at the Institute of
Radioelectronics, VUT Brno, and Department of Signals and
Telecommunications, ESIEE Paris, France. Directors: Vladimir Sebesta
(VUT Brno), Gerard Chollet (ENST Paris). Thesis: "Speech Processing Using Automatically Derived Segmental
Units: Applications to Very Low Rate Coding and Speaker Verification" defended at Orsay University (France) on December 18, 1998, with honors and congratulations of jury.
- 1994 - 95: DEA (Diplome d'Etudes Approfondies) at the University Paris XI, Faculty
of Sciences, Orsay, France. Specialty "Signal processing and Sensors".
DEA finished in September 95 with "very good" evaluation, ranking 2nd
in the specialty.
- 1993 - 94: Post-graduate studies at the Institute of Radioelectronics, VUT Brno.
- 1988 - 93: Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics (FEI) of VUT Brno. Studies finished with
a "red diploma" (award for excellent results throughout the 5 years)
and the Electrical engineer (Ing.) degree.
- Feb. 2002 - now: Assistant professor FIT VUT Brno. Deputy head of at the Institute of Computer Graphics and Multimedia.
- Oct. 1997 - Jan 2002: Assistant professor at the Institute of Radioelectronics FEI VUT Brno.
- Sept. 1994 - Sept. 1997: Technical staff at the Institute of Radioelectronics FEI VUT Brno.
- June - July 1993: Part-time research and development engineer, SECMAT N.T., La Verriere, France.
- 3/1993-7/1993 France - ESIEE Paris diploma project (Tempus exchange).
- 9/1994-7/1998 France - Université Paris-Sud/ESIEE DEA, 3 stays (each 6 months) during the PhD.
- 2/2001-9/2001 USA - Oregon Graduate Inst. post-doc research internship, Anthropic Speech Processing Group
signal processing, speech processing (very low bit rate coding,
verification, recognition), segmental methods, data-driven
determination of speech units.
- IEEE IT manager of Czechoslovak section)
- ISCA (International speech communication assocation)
family, music (clarinet, playing in folklore group Javornik), RC airplanes, hiking, bike.
My favorite links:
The Honza story:
People keep asking me if my name is Jan, Honza, both or whatever
happened that I was Jan before and Honza now... Here is the story:
- Honza is a Germanized form of Jan: Jan -> Hans ->
Honza, here in Czech it is very common familiar way to call Jan
(actually, 'Jan' is in my papers but no one ever calls me like that).
- HOWEVER: Jan is easy to pronounce for foreigners, so when I did the PhD
thesis in France, I used to call myself 'Jan' (French people even can't
say 'h' ;-)
when I came to Hynek's lab at OGI in 2001, he called me Honza (of
course, as he's Czech) and started to introduce me to other people also
as 'Honza'! Finally I started to use it abroad too, though it causes
some occasional problems with people I knew in pre-Hynek period ;-). In
Oct 2006 I put it even to "Sender name" in my e-mail software.
- Conclusion: Jan=Honza. Use the one you prefer.