Field of Study
Computer Networks and Communication
|Degree Programme: ||Information Technology, Master, 2-years|
|Language of Instruction: ||czech|
|Form of Study: ||full-time|
|Guarantor:||Švéda Miroslav, prof. Ing., CSc.|
|The enlistment of the field into a degree programme:|
|Computer Networks and Communication Branch of Study (MKS for short) is instructed in Czech only. |
It is a branch of the Information Technology Follow-Up Master Study Program. It is controlled in the frame of common rules, conditions and criteria, which are defined in detail in the common part of the accreditation documentation of that study program and also by common rules and directives of BUT, especially those of FIT BUT, as presented at internet addresses www.vutbr.cz and www.fit.vutbr.cz.
|Study branch Computer Networks and Communication covers different parts of data transmission (wired, wireless, mobile), implementation of computer networks for data, voice and multimedia transmissions, including sensor and real-time communications. Students will understand basic concepts and principles of computer communication, network architecture, and design of network application. They will learn how to design different communication systems, model their behavior, simulate and test them. They will learn how to design communication hardware and process signals. They will get acquainted with design principles of distributed systems connected with information and database systems. Students will study aspects of threat analysis and security. Students will be prepared to manage network applications and nets.|
|Extent of the final state examinations:|
|The State Final Examination has two parts: A defence of the Master Thesis, and a discussion based on selected topics from the course "Networks and Communication" which is derived from compulsory courses of the branch of Study. The areas of possible questions must be approved by the Study Branch Council, and students will be informed about the selected topics at least 2 months before the state final examination is held in the particular academic year. The discussion will be held on two topics.|
- Graduate students of the branch understand principles of communication and data services. They can use tools for design, analysis and modelling of communication. They are able to propose data path over different media (wired, wireless, mobile), define and implement distributed applications. They can design and implement communication interface for specialized appliances as well as for common Internet devices. Graduates can interconnect communication technologies with application like databases, information systems, sensors, or real-time communication systems.
- Graduate students are given basic principles of converged networks that includes computer networks, mobile, wireless, sensor or voice transmissions. They understand architecture of those technologies and how to implement applications. They can work in many fields of communication systems, like IP telephony, database or information systems, wireless transmissions, mobile services, teleconferencing, or industrial networks.
- Graduate students can be employed as technicians, designers or administrators of both large and specialized computer networks, as system integrators, or designers of distributed applications. They can work in private companies, like ISPs, or state-owned telecommunication institutions as network administrators, in data centers, as security experts in domain of networking, or in education, health or machinery industry.
|Content and quantification of professional practice:|
|Industrial practice is not required.|
|Possible themes of final projects:|
- Static Analysis of Configurations of Active Network Devices
- Using SIP Server for IP Telephony on FIT
- Network Simulation Based on Analysis of Configuration Files of Active Devices
- User Authentication and Authorization in New Generation Networks
- Network Traffic Generator with Graphical API
- Modelling Link States Routing Protocols
- How to practically deploy IPv6 in LAN networks
- OpenVPN implementation for Windows CE
- Virtual environment for Node Access in PlanetLab Testbed