|Code:||MOG (FCH BC_MOG1)|
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Doškař Jiří, prof. RNDr., CSc. (FCH)|
|Lecturer:||Doškař Jiří, prof. RNDr., CSc. (FCH)|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Chemistry BUT|
| || ||This lecture is conceived as an introduction into molecular biology and genetics and gives the explanation of processes on the molecular level in relation to the basic functions of living systems. The second part of the lecture is focused on basic methods of molecular genetics and their applications in gene engineering which is the main tool of modern biotechnologies.|
| || ||History of molecular genetics. Genetic information and the genetic code. The molecular structure of the procaryotic and eucaryotic genome. Replication and transcription of the procaryotic and eucaryotic genome. Posttranscriptional modification and processing of RNA. Translation and posttranslational processing. Regulation of gene expression. Molecular basis of cancerogenesis (oncogenes, antioncogenes). Molecular mechanisms of mutagenesis and recombination. Mobile elements. Repair mechanisms of damaged DNA. Basic methods of molecular genetics. DNA cloning. Gene engineering and transgenic organisms.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||The structure and basic functions of living systems, their reproduction,
cell chemistry, structure and function of biomacromolecules.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||The basic knowledge of molecular biology, using methods of molecular
biology and gene engineering in the research area, in industry,
agriculture and medicine.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Understanding the field which is not the main study component in a computer science-based study programme.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- History of molecular genetics
- Genetic information and the genetic code
- The molecular structure of the procaryotic and eucaryotic genome
- Replication and transcription of the procaryotic and eucaryotic genome
- Posttranscriptional modification and processing of RNA
- Translation and posttranslational processing
- Regulation of gene expression
- Molecular basis of cancerogenesis (oncogenes, antioncogenes).
- Molecular mechanisms of mutagenesis and recombination.
- Mobile elements. Repair mechanisms of damaged DNA.
- Basic methods of molecular genetics. DNA cloning.
- Gene engineering and transgenic organisms. Gene therapy. Genetic diseases and their diagnostics.
- Molecular genetics of plants and their use in agriculture.
- Rosypal S. a kol.: Úvod do molekulární biologie. S. Rosypal, Brno 2006. (in Czech)
- Watson, J.D. et al.: Recombinant DNA, W.H.Freeman, New York 1992.
- Griffith, A.J.E.: An introduction to genetic analysis. W. H. Freeman and Comp., New York 2004.
- Sundstad P., Simmons M.J. Genetika. Český překlad, Masarykova univerzita, Brno 2009 (in Czech)
- Rosypal S. a kol.: Terminologie molekulární biologie, Brno 2001 (in Czech).
- Alberts a kol: Základy buněčné biologie, Espero, 2000, 2005 (in Czech).
| || ||The course uses teaching methods in form of Lecture - 2 teaching hours
per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers
| || ||Lectures are optional, no control tests during the semester|