Parallel and Distributed Algorithms
|Language of Instruction:||Czech|
|Guarantor:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing. (DITS)|
|Lecturer:||Hanáček Petr, doc. Dr. Ing. (DITS)|
Zbořil František, doc. Ing., Ph.D. (DITS)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Information Technology BUT|
|Department:||Department of Intelligent Systems FIT BUT|
| || ||To acquaint students with the with the basic concepts of parallel and distributed computing. The course aims to the general principles of parallel and distributed algorithms and their time complexity.|
| || ||Introduction, architectures and languages for parallel and distributed. Abstract models of parallel computing, PRAM (Parallel Random Access Machine), complexity. All prefix sums and their applications. Algorithms for parallel sorting and searching, parallel matrix operations, Interaction between processes, communication, synchronization. Typical problems.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will learn basic principles of parallel and distributed computing and with parallel and distributed algorithms and their time complexity.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competencies:|
| || ||Students will learn basic principles and possibilities of algorithm paralelization.|
|Syllabus of lectures:|
- Introduction, architectures and languages for parallel and distributed processing.
- Abstract models of parallel computing, PRAM (Parallel Random Access Machine).
- Distributed and parallel algorithms and their complexity.
- Interaction between processes, communication, synchronization.
- Topologie, synchrinous and asynchronous algorithms.
- Algorithms for parallel sorting.
- Algorithms for parallel searching.
- Parallel matrix operations.
- All prefix sums and their applications.
- Graph and list algorithms.
- Synchronization algorithms and tasks.
- Mechanisms and language constructs for synchronization.
- Languages for parallel and distributed computing.
|Syllabus of laboratory exercises:|
- Projects in the UNIX laboratory
- Jaja, J.: An Introduction to Parallel Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1992, ISBN 0-201-54856-9
- Akl, S.: The Design and Analysis of Parallel Algorithms, Prentice-Hall International, ISBN 0-13-200073-3
- Tvrdík, P.: Parallel Systems and Algorithms, skripta, Praha, Vydavatelství ČVUT 1997.
| || ||Projects are necessary.|